My new research interest? The exponential growth in the iPhone use and development of iPhone apps since the release of the iPhone 3G.
Here are some facts according to Apple: (source: http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/0903lajkszg/event/index.html)
- Apple’s app store has been open for only 8 months
- In that time, 50,000 developers have been added to the cadre of iPhone app developers. Size or notoriety of your business does not matter. You have an idea and the smarts to develop something? The odds are with you. Why?
- Of the now 25,000 iPhone apps available, 96% of the apps submitted to Apple for consideration were approved
- Of those approved, 98% were approved in 7 days or less
- Since the opening of the app store 8 months ago, iPhone owners have surpassed downloading 800 million apps to their phones (I account for about 50 of them)
- Apple makes a software development kit (SDK) available to would-be developers which includes the same APIs and tools that Apple uses. 1,000 new APIs is making it increasingly easier for developers to create new apps and add new functionality to the iPhone
For the full story, watch this video at Apple.com. Long, but interesting. Also includes a preview of the iPhone OS 3.0 to be released this summer.